The Free Technology Academy is closed. To know why, and what may come next, please read here. To find and download FTA resources not listed in these pages, instead, please visit the Free Technology Academy File Archive! Thanks!
FTA Course Programme
Before asking any information about FTA courses, please read this! Thanks!
The lack of high quality educational trajectories based on Free Software and Open Standards is often mentioned as one of the factors that slow down the adoption of these technologies. The Free Technology Academy aims to bridge this gap by providing several course modules and activities with the calendar shown at the bottom of this page. Before enrolling as explained below and/or asking informations about any course, please read carefully first this page, and then our general FAQ and the following information, which applies to all courses:
- All the FTA courses can be followed entirely online and with a flexible schedule, which makes them compatible with a full time job or other studies.
- While all the FTA courseware is freely available online, accounts in the FTA online campus are reserved to learners who actually enrol for at least one course
- How to enrol:enrolment is closed, see here to know why
- Minimum number of participants: as the degree of interaction, necessary to provide a fruitful learning experience, depends on the number of participating learners, the scheduled modules usually take place if they reach or surpass a minimum threshold of 10 participants. This minimum threshold may be lowered on specific request of the learner(s).
Main participation requirements:
- enrol and pay the tuition fee for the course (that way we can make sure you get good tutors, support and other facilities)
- be highly motivated to learn about the topics! (these courses work well for people who are really willing to learn)
It is also recommended, though not formally required, to:
have the basic previous knowledge as mentioned for each course (that way you won't waste time attending a course that is of too high level).
- join the "FTA Discussion" mailing list (the list is now CLOSED, only the archives remain online for reference!)
- Certificates, Degrees, Privacy, Cancellation and Refund Policy are all explained in a separate page
- Course Calendar: see the table below, which is divided in two parts:
- currently active courses, the next session of all the courses active in any given moment.
- "past" courses already given in past years: these are all courses ready to be reactivated with short notice, as long as there are learners willing to participate, and available tutors for the same period
- Support and requests for other sessions/courses: In general, it is possible to set up on demand extra sessions of each course. Custom editions of some courses, with programs optimized for pre-constituted groups of participants (e.g. members of the same class or Public Administration), may also be activated on demand. You can also request more sessions, or sessions with a customized program, of those same courses, as well as the reactivation of "past" courses.
Free Technology Academy Course Calendar
|Module||Start of next session||Duration||Mode||Fee||Registration|
|Personal Cloud Computing with Free Software||on demand||1 month||EPL||30€||open|
|Basic GNU/Linux||on demand||13 weeks||MLC||see here||open|
|GNU/Linux Advanced||on demand||13 weeks||MLC||see here||open|
|Network Technologies||on demand||13 weeks||MLC||see here||open|
|Past courses, ready for reactivation
(unless otherwise specified, all the courses below are in MLC mode, with the same fees and duration as the active ones of the same type)
|Concepts of Free Software and Open Standards|
|Deployment of Free Software and Case Studies|
|Economic aspects of Free Software|
|Free Software in Public Administrations|
|Free Software Utilities|
|Legal aspects of the Information Society|
|Software Engineering in Free Software environments|
|Web applications development|